Friday, March 1, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

Ahhh... the deliciousness of a good philly cheesesteak is tough to beat! Whether it's made with steak or chicken... as long as there are mushrooms & peppers... I love it! But, let's face it, these desirable sandwiches are typically far from healthy. Although, some restaurants are making lighter versions on whole wheat bread with less cheese... but the stuffed peppers I made last night are even better - for you and tasting. Ok, I'm a little baised ;-) but they are great!!

I got the idea for the Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers from Pineterest, and I made my own modifications. Most pinners used roast beef lunch meat, but I used ground beef. I stay away from lunch meat because it's pumped full of so much junk (nitrates, sodium, horomones, etc). Whenever possible, I use organic, free-range meats. You can use whatever you like, but the ground beef was steller!!

PHILLY CHEESESTEAK STUFFED PEPPERS 
Makes 4 servings
What you need:
1LB 90/10 or leaner ground beef (can sub ground turkey, chicken or lunch meat)
1 sweet onion, diced
4 green bell peppers
2C sliced mushrooms
4 slices provolone cheese
salt, pepper, season salt
optional: hot peppers, spinach, other veggies

How to:
Preheat oven to 350. Cook meat with seasonings, mushrooms, onions & any additional veggies. In the meantime, cut top off peppers & pull out the seeds and membranes. Wash inside & out. Brush a little olive oil on the pepper's skin. 
Place peppers in baking dish. Cover bottom of dish w/ water so peppers steam & don't stick. Fill peppers with cooked meat mixture. Top with 1 slice provolone per pepper. Bake 10-15 minutes, until cheese melts and peppers are slightly cooked. The peppers will still have some crunch.

*If you prefer a softer pepper, don't cook the beef all the way. Instead, cook until slightly browned then fill peppers (skip the cheese for now). Cook 15 minutes, top with cheese & continue to cook an addition 10-20 minutes.

I placed my pepper on one slice of whole grain toasted bread and went to town ;-) Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment