Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Light-sagna

Noodles, cheese, meat & rich sauce... lasagna has all the ingredients to be a diet disaster! .... But it doesn't have to be. This comfort food can also be healthy, lean & light.... that's how I make it!

Since I'm on a crock-pot kick, I decided to try my light-sagna in the wonder pot and, wow, I will never go back to baking it!! The crock-pot made this meal easier and tastier than ever. You don't even have to boil the noodles... the crockpot does it for you! Just cook the meat, layer the ingredients & let it sit while you go shopping LOL... or whatever it is you like to do.


LIGHT-SAGNA
What you need:
1.25LB lean ground turkey
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small sweet onion, chopped
12 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken in half
1C shredded mozzarella cheese
1 (26 ounce) jar tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) container cottage cheese
salt, pepper, oregano
Optional: 2-3C fresh spinach, 1C mushrooms

How to:
1. Cook turkey, onion & bell pepper in skillet until turkey is no longer pink. Season w/ salt, pepper & oregano. Set aside.
2. In bowl, mix cottage cheese & 1/2C mozzarella
3. In slow-cooker, layer half of the uncooked noodles. It's ok to overlap. Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture, spinach & mushrooms. Top w/ 1/2 of the tomato sauce and 1/4C water.
4. Carefully spread cottage cheese mixture & layer the remaining noodles, meat, spinach, mushrooms and sauce. Top with another 1/4C water.
5. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 5.
6. Sprinkle remaining 1/2C mozzarella and cook for 15 more minutes so it's nice and melty. Enjoy



2 comments:

  1. I love, LOVE that you are using your crock-pot for so many recipes! I've been in love with my crock-pot for a few years now, but my diet has changed so dramatically in the last year that I feel like it's all new to me again, and your recipes sure hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lasagne was amazing! Even as left overs! I would highly recommend this to anyone! DELISH!

    ReplyDelete