Thursday, September 24, 2015

Apples X's 38

We have (well, we HAD) an overflow of apples at our house! Like a MASSIVE amount! 38 to be exact!!

You see, Grandpapa & Grammy have a farm. They have an amazing garden, too! I wish we lived closer so we could eat up all their fresh, natural goodies from the gound! They grow all kinds of fruits and veggies. Sometimes our little fam gets lucky and we benefit from their hard gardening work. This week, we got a big box packed with all different varieties of organic apples picked only a couple days before arriving at our doorstep. Yay!! Tilman kept saying "I'm so excited"!!


So what to do with 38 apples? Hmmm... I mean, we could just eat them as is... and we have been doing that... but I like cooking and concocting, so I had a little fun. First, I made my signature GREEN APPLESAUCE - enough to last months and I froze it. 

This is just the first batch!!
Then, I made a huge batch of one of my favorite fall breakfasts, APPLE PIE OATS



With more than 20 apples still left, I got creative - I love apple chips, so I made my own...YUM!!!! 
I said "YUM" right? Ha! So this is all we have left. 
Finally, I made some awesome apple peanut butter breakfast bars. Tilman is convinced that the nutrient-packed bars are a dessert cookie that he only can have if he eats all of his dinner haha!! They are so healthy that I'd let him have them for dinner... but I'll let him keep thinking they're a sugary treat... haha... and there's no sugar in them!

Ok, After all of that build up, I'm sure you are dying for the recipes, so here you go....

BAKED APPLE CHIPS
What you need:
3-4 apples sliced very thin (about 1/6th of an inch thick)
cinnamon
parchment paper

How to:
Preheat oven to 200. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay apple slices on paper. Don't overlap. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 3 hours, flip 1/2 way through. Turn oven off and leave slices in oven for an additional hour.
Try these dipped in peanut butter!!!

APPLE PEANUT BUTTER BARS

What you need:
2C rolled oats
1 medium apple, shredded (use cheese grater)
2 eggs
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
1/4C organic peanut butter
1/2C organic honey

How to:
Combine all ingredients. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x9 baking dish. Press mixture into dish. Bake 20-25 minutes into slightly golden at edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment