Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Apple Pie for Breakfast...

Yes, I'll take it! Who wouldn't want apple pie for breakfast?? - Especially if it's healthy & filling... and won't give you a sugar crash!

I love slow cooker oats! I make a large batch once a week and then our family eats a bowl each morning. Even though it's oatmeal everyday, I like to mix it up with different add-ins ... berries,  pumpkin, cocoa coconut, etc. Today... it's apple pie!

This morning just as I was starting up our weekly batch, a package came in the mail for Tilman... His farmer Grandpa sent a box of  organic apples picked right off his trees. So, of course, I put them right to use... chopped them up and toss them in the slow cooker with oats, water, vanilla and cinnamon. That's really it! Set on low for 4-6 hours and breakfast is served - for a WEEK!!!


APPLE PIE OATS
What you need:
2C steelcut oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
6C water (or 1 can coconut milk w/ 4C water)
1TBSP pure vanilla extract
1TBSP cinnamon
2 apples (any variety), chopped

How to:
Place all ingredients in slow cooker and turn on low. Cook 4-6 hours. If it looks dry, add more water. For a softer consistency, add an additional cup of water.

Before serving, I add 1/2C plain Greek yogurt, more cinnamon & 1TBSP ground flaxseed
Tilman, likes his berry oats mixed with a little PB ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment