Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup

It was a big night in the Miller home... Daddy was working and mama got invited out for a girls night. So what to do? What to do? Tilman has only been babysat by my parents and our neighbor who is basically family... and even still, it's only be 5-6 times ever! Our neighbor was part of the girls night so she couldn't watch him and my parents don't live here... so... skip the fun or be a big girl and find someone else to watch our baby...?? Then stepped in our new mommy friend, Rachel! She was the perfect choice and has been urging us to use her for a little while now. One text and she was in!! Til LOVED her and her little boy!!!



Ok, so all of the to lead into my Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe LOL! Rachel has 3 kiddos and was going to bring them to watch Tilman. It was during dinner-time, so I said I'd make a big batch of something for everyone. I wasn't sure what to make... what do young kids like? How can I make enough for everyone? It's gotta be healthy and tasty.... Hmm! That's when I decided on this soup! It totally fit all of my criteria... I mean, what kid doesn't like food topped with chips and cheese? LOL



Here are the details...

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
What you need:
2-3 chicken breasts
3-4C chicken broth (depends how "soupy" you want it)
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 can diced green chilies
1 can diced tomatoes
1 corn on the cob (I grilled mine). You can use a can of corn
1TBSP chili powder
2tsp cumin
1tsp garlic powder
sea salt & pepper to taste
Optional: 1 diced hot pepper, jalepeno
cilantro & chips for garnish

How to: Place onion, chicken and seasonings in slow cooker on low. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside (3-4 hours). Take chicken out and shred. Put back into slow cooker and add all other ingredients. Leave on low until you are ready to eat, but for at least 1 additional hour. Top with cilantro and corn chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment