Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Simple St. Patty's Day Dinner

My hubby is 1/4th Irish, which makes our son 1/8th... so I figured we better celebrate their heritage ;-) by eating some Irish food. Problem is, I don't really like traditional Irish meals... so I had to adapt some things.

I do like cabbage, so that's where I started the planning. Grilled cabbage was on the menu! But that's all I could decide on....

I went to do some searching in the fridge. We ALWAYS have chicken, and since the grill was going to be fired up, why not throw on some balsamic glazed chicken (I know, not Irish... but yummy ;-) haha)...

Then... hmmm... Potatoes! Yes, potatoes fit the "holiday" menu... especially when you throw in some GREEN parsley ;-) And there you have it, our balanced meal that has a little zest of St. Patty's Day charm sprinkled in.

BALSAMIC GLAZED CHICKEN
What you need:
4 organic chicken breasts
1/3C balsamic vinegar
2TBSP extra virgin olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2tsp sea salt
1-2tsp ground pepper

How to:
Marinate chicken in vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper for 2 or more hours. Then simply grill.

GRILLED CABBAGE
What you need:
1 medium head of cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
2TBSP extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

How to: 
Brush cabbage wedges with oil and sprinkle on seasonings. Grill for 5-7 minutes on each side. We like ours a little charred, so keep an eye on it to reach your desired cook.

SMASHED PARSLEY POTATOES
What you need:
5-6 medium red potatoes
2TBSP dried parsley
1/2C plain Greek yogurt
1/3C unsweetened almond milk or skim milk
sea salt to taste

How to: 
Cut potatoes into halves and boil on salted water for about 20 minutes (until soft enough to smash). Remove from water and let cool, slightly. Place potatoes in a bowl and smash with skin on. I like to leave in some large potato chunks, but mash as much as you like. Add in milk & Greek yogurt, stir evenly. Sprinkle in parsely & salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment