Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Kids Won't Eat Greens?

Are you having a hard time getting your kiddos to eat their veggies? Well, don't let them win! They need the nutritents from greens and it's your job to get them to eat healthy... BUT, I'm not saying they have to know they're eating veggies ;-) haha!

Fortunately, our son really like vegetables and I am certain it's because he's been fed them from the start. I didn't give him tons of options, I just gave him what I knew he needed. This is not to say that he likes all veggies: he hates potatoes of any kind and green beans, but he loves peas, broccoli, asaparagus, beets (we gave him raw beets while teething when he was just 6 months old) and carrots (raw not cooked).


I still can't get him to eat spinach (despite this picture... He thinks it's great to play with but not so much to eat).... So, I just steam it and blend with his apples. He LOVES his cinnamon applesauce ....with hidden spinach ;-) and I love watching him eat it, knowing he's getting a power-packed snack. I often mix this in his oatmeal or plain Greek yogurt for breakfast and it's a hit!

GREEN APPLESAUCE
WHAT YOU NEED:
4-6 apples - I like organic gala or honey crisp, but you can use any kind
1-2C spinach or kale
optional: cinnamon

HOW TO:
Clean, peel and cube apples. Steam for about 10 minutes. Add in a handful or two of spinach and/or kale. Steam an additional 5-7 minutes until greens are wilted and apples are slightly soft. Let cool. Blend. You can add some cinnamon, too! Make a bunch and freeze!


No comments:

Post a Comment